Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Maine Part 1 - The Lighthouses

We took a trip north to Maine for Memorial Day weekend. I have to say, it's been one of my very favorite places to visit. There is just something about New England that makes me want to bust out the seersucker and sail away into the sunset.

Sunday morning my sweet husb woke me up (yet again) at 5:00 AM (yes, we were on vacation) to visit the lighthouse that put Maine on the map: Portland Head Light.

Was it worth it? The whole area to ourselves, snuggling with my husb on the rocky beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, seeing the sunrise . . . uh, yeah, it was worth it. It was pretty magical if I do say so myself (although pictures of myself--which will NEVER be seen--would suggest otherwise).


A little later in the game we thought it would be cool to see another lighthouse. Well, one of the handy things about the iPhone is, if you're wondering where the next lighthouse is up the coast of Maine--there's an app for that. Just kidding. But, I was able to find a lighthouse just miles from our drive up Highway 1.
I present Pemaquid Point Light (isn't the name a hoot?):

We were able to go inside the lighthouse and look out over the ocean.

We had a Pemaquid Pro giving us some facts and figures about the lighthouse and it was pretty fascinating.

I noted that I think the world of fishing is a bit of a mystery. I mean, who knows how many nautical miles it takes to get to the nearest lighthouse??? I actually love that it's never been altered. There is no technology to fish, just the old fashioned lobster-basket-thrown-overboard approach. Love it.

We have a LOT more to talk about . . . there could be posts for the next few months on how much I loved Maine, but I will keep it to a minimum--for now. But seriously, if anyone wants to go, we are SO IN!!!

Stay tuned. Next up on Maine Part 2, a tour through our new favorite New England town: Kennebunkport, ME.

7 comments:

Hillary Mondragon said...

It honestly looks like the cover of a Nicholas Sparks book! I know I say this in almost every post, but Jed is seriously pro with that camera...honestly, they could be postcards!! I can't wait to (hopefully!) experience it for myself in Sept. Love you!

sheri said...

Gorgeous pictures, once again! Glad you had a great time! Loveyoumissyou!

Kage said...

How long was the drive I want to know...good pix. you take or husb?

Kristie Larsen said...

wow. wow. wow. its gorgeous! i love the pictures you guys took, but think you might have to show what you look like at 5 in the morning ; ) Seeing this makes me want to go even more!

Heather said...

Hey Kage. We flew. Cheap tickets on Jetblue...the flight was 50 minutes. Very nice!
Jed took most pics, but I snuck in a few...none of which are displayed. Hmmm.

Kristie Sessions, pictures of me looking like a zombie are never going to happen. haha. GO GO GO to Maine. It's my new motto in life!

Sheri, you and dad NEED to come see your favorite kids in NYC, then head to Maine.

Hill, you will see it first hand if it kills me!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to take my hubby back to visit Maine. He lived in Northern Maine for 6 years!

nymanzanita said...

Hey...not sure if you will get this comment because the post is from 2009. Anyway...I live in NYC and have checked out your blog for a couple years. I think I saw it on one of the girls from the Woodside Ward's blog rolls. Anyway...I tagged your trip to Maine so that I could use it as a reference for a future trip. Let me tell you that I am here in Portland tonight after checking out the sights all day and I LOVE IT. I totally used your info to help me and I devoured Clam Shack today in the summer sun. Delish! I have been lighthouse hopping and more to come in the morning. Hope you are doing well in SF and thanks for your nice posts that served as a "travel guide" for me.