Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Maine Part 2 - The Food

I know, I know. We said Maine Part 2 would be a tour through Kennebunkport. But if you know us, you know that we love food, and boy did we eat in Maine! So we just couldn't wait.

I think it's safe to say that not more than 2 hours went by without us eating something.

Our first meal: a lobster (sorry, lobstah) roll from a little lunch counter in an adorable little dock town called Harraseeket.


Luckily my husb did a little research before we left and found "The 10 Best Lobster Shacks in Maine." This was on the list. On a side note, we checked off a total of 3 on the "10 Best" list. We were there for 2 full days. Yeah. You do the math.

I've never had lobstah before (hey, go easy, I grew up in a landlocked state where Gorton's fish sticks was as authentic as it got) so I figured why not try it in the MAINEland of lobstah. Verdict: one claw up, one down. It was good, but our expectations were pretty high. We're glad we tried it, but it's possible that Harraseeket Lunch 'n' Lobster paid someone off to get on the "10 Best" list.

My favorite: Blueberry muffin made with authentic Maine blueberries (which are coincidentally the best blueberries in the world). But, here's the kicker--the fine folks at Becky's Diner GRILL their blueberry muffins!!!


It was phenomenal! So phenomenal that we went back on day 2 for another one (are you still doing the math...stop if you are, we ate more than 6 normal meals in one day...there, I said it).

We had to get some saltwater taffy (another Maine staple).


Turns out it was almost $4.00 for 25 pieces. Pretty expensive for the candy people are usually pawning off at Halloween or chucking at people during parades. My favorites: FlutterNutter and Pina Colada. Jed's favorites: the remaining 23 pieces. He's not picky. I love that about him.

Next up: The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport. Fish (Haddock: Maine staple, of course) 'n' Chips. Only thing better than the food was the Kennebunkport sunset on the side.


Our all-time #1 choice favorite: Red's Eats in Wiscasset (gotta love those names).


Homemade tartar and cocktail sauce, hand-drawn butter with every lobstah roll, and, our favorite, crab meat rolls with a whole harbor full of crab stuffed in.


The food tasted even better served up by the SWEETEST little New England lady. We've been doing our best impressions of her accent ever since, but somehow Jed's comes out more Irish and mine comes out more Staten Island. If only there were an app for that.

Ok. Enough. My mouth is watering all over the keyboard and Jed hates it when I do that. The tour of Kennebunkport is coming in Maine Part 3. Promise.

5 comments:

Karisa said...

It's the first time I've actually visited your blog in a long time. I usually just catch it in reader. I noticed your little runner Heather, and with all the miles you've been logging, I think you deserve the 6 meals a day. Maine looks dreamy.

Hillary Mondragon said...

By the looks of them I could easily eat 4-8 of those blueberry muffins in one sitting! Can't wait for Part 3!

mb said...

Heather!!! We missed you this weekend! But it looks like you had a blast in Maine!! I would love to live there!!

Kage said...

Do you know the history behind all these names? Is it like a secret language or something.
Did you always eat the lobster meddled with or did you ever eat it straight out of the shell like they do in the movies (well, at least in Funny Girl).

Sounds like I would hate eating in Maine...all that poison everywhere.

Kristie Larsen said...

double drool.... I think you guys should start your own HGTV show about eating in different states. Jed could totally take foodie pics. that food looks fabulous!