Saturday, August 29, 2009

60 Things - Take 4

A few more came off the list this week.

#32. Visit Chelsea Market. Even though they yelled at me for taking pictures in their stores the first time we were there, we still love this place, and it was good to see it one more time. Feels like Bobby Flay's about to walk around the corner any minute.

#49. Eat empanada @ Mama's Empanadas. Yummo. My favorite is the Cuban. It's like a Cuban sandwich wrapped in empanada goodness. The fact that it's in Queens about 10 minutes from our apartment doesn't hurt either.

#9. Eat bagel @ H&H Bagels. Hmmm. How do I put this? You're right, give it to you straight:

H and J walk into H&H. Excited and hungry.

H to H&H employee: What kinds of cream cheese do you have?

H&H employee: In the fridge.

H and J walk to the fridge, confused.

H to J: Is this it? Can you only buy packages of cream cheese? Can't you get it on the bagel?

J to H&H employee: Do you put cream cheese on the bagels?

H&H employee: We don't put anything on the bagels.

H and J exit, stage left, less excited, still hungry ... and bagel-less.

It's my new culinary honesty policy: I like Tex-Mex more than 'authentic' Mexican food. I enjoy hot dogs, chili, and yeah, sometimes even the two paired together. And, the new one, I like Einstein Brothers Bagels--especially their asiago cheese bagel, toasted, with veggie cream cheese--better than any New York bagel I've ever had.

Whoah. Scary. But it feels good to finally tell the truth.

9 down. 51 to go. 53 days left.

3 comments:

Kristie Larsen said...

is there actually an einstein bros. bagel here in the city?? do tell! I love them... my fav. mango. its a specialty item in the beginning of spring, but boy oh boy will it knock your socks off!

sheri said...

Ahh, good ol' Einsteins and Jamba Juice (whatever that place was called before)! Never went to an away game without the cheerleaders crying out for the bus driver to stop!

Kim said...

I write this with all the un-sarcastic honesty I can muster - and as a jaded 40 year old primary care physician practicing "free market" medicine that's admittedly not much. I love reading this and if you posted a new one every hour, I would not tire of reading it. This stuff makes my heart feel like you guys are part of my life. I wish I was there in NY with you and I hope that someday soon we can live and work in the same place. That's as honest a sentiment as I can muster.