Tuesday, September 1, 2009

60 Things - Take 5

#41. Visit Coney Island.

Whoah mama. H had been there before, this was my first time. For a guy who enjoys taking the--um--occasional picture, this place was the biggest candy store this kid has ever seen. I'm telling you, I haven't seen that many weird and crazy things in one place since I was in the MTC. It is one crazy island. Anyway, enough words, let's see some pics, huh?

Amusement park classics ...


The boardwalk ...


The souvies ...


Yeah, it says what you think it says ...


And yeah, that says "live human target" ...


Some Coney Island silhouettes ...


The first roller coaster I've ever seen that looks older and scarier than the one at Lagoon ...



Pretty sure H was tall enough. Doesn't mean we were about to ride it ...


The boardwalk v.2 ...


Classic ticket booth ...


Mr. Happy Balloon Man ...


A cool Coney Island sign ...


Ah, the sideshow freaks ...


All the Nathan's hot dogs you could eat--these guys eat their fair share ...



If by some miracle you still want more pics, you can see a few more over at the boys' photog blog here.

6 comments:

Kage said...

I've never been either, but I am shooting a wedding photoshoot there on Saturday as bride. Got some bouquet ideas? I was thinking cotton candy, and someone suggested corndogs but that might be too......

Anyway, thoughts? Maybe the balloon guy could make me a bouquet? That would be a fun photo too....

Kristie Larsen said...

oh you haven't lived until you been to coney 'crazy' island. what a trip. so glad you got it in before leaving. patrick and i still have so many inside jokes from that place even though we've only been twice. its enough to fill your WHOLE life!

Jed Eastman said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Kage. I was thinking while we were there it would be a really cool spot to take people pics.
Bouquet ideas: I like the cotton candy and the balloon idea. It would be sweet if you could make flowers out of old school amusement park tickets (think raffle tix) and the silver Nathan's hot dog wrappers. Might be a tiny bit time consuming though. :)
Do we get to see the pics after your shoot??? Have fun!

Kage said...

I like those ideas. If I had a prop stylist, I'd get them RIGHT on that, but since it's me....we will probably have to pass ....darn. I am sure the photographer will post a gallery, and of course I will tweet and blog all about it.

Angie said...

Those are great pictures, nice reminders of - you're right - one of the weirdest places on earth. I was introduced to Coney Island on the day of the Mermaid Parade. Naive me, I thought it would be some family-friendly parade. No way. It was a bunch of nearly-nude women that were shaped much like Ursula walking around. No thanks.

Thanks again for letting me stay with you! We miss the city, but I must say it's very very nice to drive a car...

Good luck with the list!

Cardon + Kelly Webb said...

Awesome pics! I love Coney, it is truely an eclectic mix of carnies and gangsters.