Wednesday, May 21, 2008

All I Know to Do is Run

Well, it's not official yet, but it's definitely getting there...I think I'm becoming a runner. I participated in my first official race in New York City last night. It was the annual American Heart Association's Wall Street Walk/Run 5K. We ran through the streets of Manhattan's financial district (which fortunately were closed for the race) and I have to say, it was a lot more fun that running through the streets of Provo for the annual Rex Lee Run (my only other competitive race to date). In fact, I'm not sure they even had to close the streets for that one.
Anyway, the race was really cool. It had been raining all day, but the rain stopped a few minutes before race time and made for some really cool temps during the race. Running through the streets of what I like to call "historic" New York City was amazing, and doing it with thousands of other runners was pretty cool. But I think my favorite moment was turning the corner to enter the Battery Park promenade and running along the Hudson to the finish line. Never thought I'd say this, but I think I actually experienced my first runner's high.
All told, by my calculations I ran the race in a little under 24 minutes, giving me about an 8 min/mile pace. Definitely not a break-neck speed, but at this point I'll take it.
The next step is the New York Road Runners Anniversary 5 miler on June 5th. I'm also entered in the lottery for the ING New York City Marathon and am waiting to hear whether or not I'm in. In the meantime, the marathon training is going as well as can be expected of something so sadistic as training for a marathon, but it should get a little more enjoyable now that we've ordered a new cruiser for Heathe so she can bike along side me on my long Saturday morning runs.

1 comment:

Lucile Eastman said...

You are good people. Doing things together is much more fun, I'm sure.