Sunday, June 21, 2009

Meet the Mets' New Home

In part 2 of the sports weekend with Luke, we went to see the Mets' brand new home--Citi Field. Oh, and watch them play baseball inside it, of course. Verdict? Two thumbs, way up. I may be a little biased, but I think Citi Field is way cooler than the new Yankee Stadium. Want a tour? You got it.

Welcome to "Citi Field Fanwalk." The sidewalks outside the stadium behind home plate are lined with hundreds of these bricks. Apparently when the stadium was being built you could buy a brick and put your own message on it, making sure you're a part of the stadium forever. Hmmm, where was that little tid bit before they were all sold out?


The similarities between the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field are pretty crazy--even down to the "in-game entertainment." Smells kinda fishy. So it made sense for Citi Field to have their own "hall of fame." I'm not sure if I actually grew up watching the Mets, but it seems like all my earliest baseball-on-TV memories have something to do with the Mets, so these pictures were pretty cool to see . . .


and these above the gate to left field . . .


The view from our "cheap" seats (the new stadium don't come cheap) was actually really cool. I was diggin' that Pepsi sign (hollatma LIC peeps). Not sure if that's a new addition or if they had that at Shea . . . little help from the connoisseurs out there? The awesome light and sky when we got there were a major bonus . . .


. . . so I couldn't resist a bit of an "artsy" shot.


I've decided all the classic "Americana" at baseball games is one of my new favorite things. Nothing better than a seventh inning stretch with "take me out to the ball game" followed by a rousing rendition of "meet the Mets."

Fun time. Great game. And the Mets won. I think I may be turning into a good luck charm.

1 comment:

Lucile Eastman said...

Here's a comment---FABULOUS! I'm glad the weather held for this game.