Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Introduction

I’m getting old. How do I know? Because I follow politics...and I like it. I’ve been following the Presidential campaigns in varying degrees since the primary season started heating up last year. And yes, sometimes it makes me feel old, boring and even a little too serious for an almost 29-year-old kid. Still, I’ve come to terms with my recent place in the ever-rotating circle of life. So what if I’m getting old, following politics, both current and historical, makes me feel like an American, and makes me proud of the democracy to which I belong.


For those of you who don’t share my affinity for policy debates and mindless slander, I feel your pain. I’m guessing that you don’t like politics not because you don’t care about America, but because you’re tired of the fact that there’s too much mindless slander and not enough policy debate, or because you feel overwhelmed by all the “smarty pants” who’s political conversations are way over your head. Believe me, I’ve been there, I know how you feel.


And yet, politics, especially national politics, is too important to ignore. Tired of donating your arm and your leg every time you stop at the gas pump? Been watching the price of bread go up for months and wondering when it’s gonna stop? Your favorite day of the year April 15th? Well, to a certain degree, that’s politics. Don’t like it? Now’s the time to do something about it.


So, I’ve decided to write a series of short and, hopefully, easy-to-understand articles describing what’s going on with the current Presidential campaign. Pretentious? I hope not. In fact, quite the contrary. Despite what my mother might say, deep down I’m just an average American trying to have a happy and healthy life and provide for my wife and (someday) kids. That sounds like most of us. But I’m thinking that since I happen to be abnormal enough to enjoy wading through all the political mumbo jumbo I’ll wade through it for you and present it in a way that normal Americans can stand reading.


I know what you’re thinking, “Great, I was merely hoping to catch up on H+J’s life in NYC, now I gotta listen to this crap?!” I hear ya. The answer is no. This is just the introduction. The remainder of the “series” can be found at The Citizen Post. Check it out if you’re interested.


PS. No old jokes, please. I’m vulnerable enough as it is.

2 comments:

Alex said...

The complete lack of actual policy coverage by the media is so frustrating. I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing the media talk about Sarah Palin's pastor, or what she was like as a pageant contestant, or whether she likes cats. Is this what passes for political coverage?

How about they talk about what McCain-Palin would actually do in office? It's not that it's not out there. We just have to do the research ourselves. But the media sure aren't going to talk about it (at least not on camera).

And that's why I'm not going to listen to the media anymore. I'd much rather read your policy musings.

Lucile Eastman said...

Good on Ya! I am in total agreement with you and with Alex. And I will love reading what you have to say. I also notice Alex didn't mention how tired he is of "lipstick on a pig." Maybe he had already stopped listening to them before that.